Sunday, November 13, 2011

Champ Lui Pio and Rez Toledo: A Dream Team

Recognizing his big potential, recording artist Champ Lui Pio turned manager to Rez Toledo aka Somedaydream has been an instrumental and a big factor in guiding his career


INTERVIEW BY JAYSON PAOR
PHOTOS BY DARREL POBRE
STYLING BY jear de mc cuttac 
ASSISTED by: PABBY DE MC CUTTAC AND KIM DELOS SANTOS
Grooming by: BAMBI DE LA CRUZ



How did you get hooked up with Rez Toledo [as your first talent]? Describe the first meeting.
This all happened late last year, Hale just disbanded and I was exploring possibilities with my career. A common friend of Rez and I suggested him to be in the line-up of Treehouse Productions that time so I checked his music on Myspace. Instantly his music caught my attention, I asked for a meeting right away. At first, my plan was to just produce his album but then it resulted me managing him and putting up my own label. The meeting was very exciting and constructive. We shared the same vision musically.

Can you explain what appealed to you about Rez? [And] What was the force that said, “I’ll sign him!”?
For one, we don’t really have a mainstream electronic act out there. His music is so fresh and new that it sets him apart from the usual OPM sound that you here. His discipline is very different. After listening to Hey Daydreamer a couple if times I found myself singing Hey Daydreameeeeer! That’s when I realized this young guy has talent.

From your perspective, what do you find distinctly unique and inspiring about Rez?
As ironic as it may sound, Rez is a dreamer, and I think that’s his strength. His imagination fuels his creativity. He’s only 20 and he’s adapting and learning to everything so fast. It’s really amazing! People are only seeing the tip of the iceberg here.

You guys started working together late last year. How is Rez as a talent? Is he a good talent? Describe your relationship as talent-manager.
Well, Rez admitted at first he was scared of me. I tend to be strict when it comes to work. But he understands the big picture. He knows I want this project to succeed as much as he does. We’re both driven that’s why we click. We’ve become very good friends outside work and he’s one of my closes friends out there.

What pieces of advice [do you normally share or] would you give him on his passion for music, art, ‘career’, life love and relationship?
He knows I’m there for him if he needs anything. But more than anything, I always remind him that attitude is more important than talent, because a person with the right attitude will always thrive on any situation.

“CHAMP AS A MANAGER IS BEST THING THAT HAPPENED IN MY LIFE SO FAR. I LOOK UP TO HIM AS BIG BROTHER. IT’S SURPRISING HOW ALL OF THIS IS WORKING REALLY WELL FOR BOTH OF US.” –REZ ON CHAMP


Could you envision the kind of success he is enjoying today?
When we were starting off, I really did envision him being successful. Deep inside I had this feeling that he will be big in the near future. I just had to work hard to help him share his music to a wider audience. It’s his fate to be where he is right now.

When did you realize that you wanted to run and form a music label seriously and what made you realize this?
After Hale disbanded I was figuring out what to do next. After I released my solo-collaboration album everything felt so predictable. A part of me was looking for that fire that would challenge me, I’ve been playing for a long time now and everything is familiar already. So I guess taking on a different career but still connected to music was the most logical next step.

Who do you turn to for [some] ‘career’ advice – or it is usually your instinct that is always telling and guiding you what to do and not to?
I usually consult a lot of people before making any big decisions. But at the end of the day, my guts have never failed me. Right now, I’m a sponge absorbing everything, I’m still new to all of this and I’m not that stupid to say I know everything. I listen and learn from people who have experience.

What do you hope people take away from Somedaydream’s music.
My vision is to change the culture of how people perceive local music. I want Pinoys to be proud of local music and musicians, for local music to be globally competitive. I have big dreams and plans for Mecca Music and Somedaydream is just the beginning. 

How have things changed for you and Rez since the success of his first single Hey Daydreamer? How do you think it has affected your/his life?
We’ll we’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback since we started from fans, peers and people from the industry and I think that has been our motivating force. For Rez, the effects of his success are very constructive. He is more driven and more excited about each project that we have to do to promote him. He is evolving and maturing everyday, most importantly having fun with the whole experience.  


Can you share some stories about how his music has impacted you and other people as well?
Personally, his music is a feel good catalyst. I usually listen to his songs when I’m in the car or in a bad mood. His music reminds me of how far we’ve gotten in such short time. I’m very proud of what we’ve achieved and how we were able to impact people’s lives. When you go to his gigs his fans are very passionate about his music and very supportive. It’s overwhelming. 

If you were to look back five years ago, you probably couldn't have predicted the level of success and the direction you're taking today but can you look down the road five years and give us your predictions for Somedaydream, Mecca Music, the state of (OPM) music, and the industry in general? 
It’s very hard to predict anything because I’ve always been the type who doesn’t look far ahead. I take things one step at a time, but given the progress we have made I believe Somedaydream has a lot to offer in the years to come. And it’s gonna be exciting. Mecca Music on the other hand will continue helping and promoting new artists who offer new sounds. The new generation of musicians are the future.

What do you hope to accomplish before the year ends, personally and as a ‘manager-producer’/musician?
Release the much awaited debut album of Somedaydream. Release my new video featuring Gloc-9 and Noel Cabangon.

What do you feel like “life” has been teaching you lately?
That we are masters of our won fate and that you have a choice. If you want something you have to work hard to get it.

“REZ IS A DREAMER, AND I THINK THAT’S HIS STRENGTH. HIS IMAGINATION FUELS HIS CREATIVITY. HE’S ONLY 20 AND HE’S ADAPTING AND LEARNING TO EVERYTHING SO FAST. IT’S REALLY AMAZING!” –CHAMP ON REZ



Finally, what are your upcoming plans for Rez and for Mecca Music? [And] yes, when is Somedaydream’s album coming?
For Somedaydream, we’re planning an album launch early September. A new music video, a bar tour, and lots of guestings to promote the new single. For Mecca Music, we’re working on our second artist that will take 2012 by storm. And we are very, very excited.


 Published BANDS Magazine, Issue No. 53

No comments:

Post a Comment